Canon R6II vs Panasonic S5II

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
hokyungbenjaminbenlee Regular Member • Posts: 214
Canon R6II vs Panasonic S5II

Hello,

I've been a Canon user for the past decade or so, owning various cameras such as the Canon EOS 5D II, 5D III, RP, and R. Currently, I'm considering upgrading my RP and R to the R6II. However, I've come across some concerns on a forum regarding potential skin tone and colour issues with the R6II. Some users express dissatisfaction with the colors rendered in their JPEGs, even going so far as to sell their R6II kit and revert to the EOS R for professional work. There's a perception that Canon has lost the exceptional colour reproduction characteristic of its DSLR era.

Additionally, transitioning from Canon DSLRs, I've primarily used EF lenses with my R series mirrorless cameras due to the considerably lower cost compared to the newly developed RF lenses. The latter typically cost two to three times more than the EF lenses I already own.

As I explore options in the market, I've come across the Panasonic S5II, which now features phase detection AF. It appears to be quite comparable to the Canon R6II in terms of technical specifications and comes at a lower price. My local camera store is offering the Lumix 14-28mm f/4-5.6 and 20-60mm f/3.5-5.6 lenses with the Panasonic body, making the total cost $1945 USD, as opposed to Canon's $2210 USD just for the body. Considering that each of these lenses separately costs at least $500 USD, selling them post-purchase could practically bring down the cost of the S5II to $1000 USD or less.

While I anticipate that most responses in a Panasonic forum would lean towards recommending a switch, I'm seeking advice here to understand if transitioning from Canon to Panasonic would be a wise decision. It's worth mentioning that I plan to use some of my EF lenses through an MC 11 L to EF adapter until I acquire native lenses.

Am I making the right decision, or should I stick with Canon?

Thank you.

hokyungbenjaminbenlee's gear list:hokyungbenjaminbenlee's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Fujifilm X-T20 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow