Do I really need the RF 70-200 f/2.8?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tradman64 Junior Member • Posts: 38
Do I really need the RF 70-200 f/2.8?

I am an adventure/landscape photographer. Since buying an R5 and the RF 100-500 in 2021, I rarely used my 5D Mark IV or anything else from my full array of EF lenses collected over 20+ years.

Recently, I decided to trade in all my EF/non-mirrorless gear and start over in a more simplified fashion. In addition to a backup R5, I also purchased the following (mostly covered by the trade-in):

• RF 15-35 f/2.8
  • RF 24-70 f/2.8
  • RF 70-200 f/2.8
  • RF 1.4x TC (keeping)
  • RF 100-500 (keeping)
  • RF 200-800 (ordered)

At a glance, I am technically covered from 15mm-800mm. However, I am having doubts about the 70-200. It's a fantastic lens, no doubt. But from a simplicity perspective, I am not sure how often it will see the light of day.

With the R5, there's enough pixel power that the missing 30mm from the 24-70 to the 100-500 can easily be made up for with cropping or moving forward, if possible.

If it helps, I am simplifying to only use what I need. It doesn't make sense to keep lenses in the closet or at home or in an already heavy bag in the field.

Thoughts?

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow