Panasonic 100-300mm II instead of Sigma 100-400mm?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PaulSnowcat
PaulSnowcat Senior Member • Posts: 1,442
Panasonic 100-300mm II instead of Sigma 100-400mm?

Guys... Throw in a few thoughts, please...

My main camera is Panasonic S1R. As a tele lens I am using a Sigma 100-400mm 4-6.3. It is a very nice lens, but it's heavy and it's very large.

Yes, it takes nice pictures, but it's just really tiring shooting with it (I am a "walking" type photographer, I do not use monopods, tripods etc. I carry the camera with the lens in my hand. Besides, if I just cannot take this lens as an "option", it only fits anywhere in the main compartment - mounted on the camera... And, well, if I understand that MIGHT be needing it, I mostly leave it at home, due to it's weight and size...

This is an example of what I shoot with Sigma.

In other hand, I have a GX8, that I am using with 12-100mm lens, as a universal always with me camera.

So, I though, that maybe I should replace my Sigma with a twice smaller and lighter Panasonic 100-300mm II lens? What do you say? Will I be disappointed by it's quality after the Sigma? Or will I not?

Keeping both is not an option, as I live in a country, which is not my native, so I must keep the size of my optical park limited or it will be very hard to take it with me if necessity would arise...

-- hide signature --
 PaulSnowcat's gear list:PaulSnowcat's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 +2 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow