Z9 with Flash not working: an obscure reason

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
FrankG Senior Member • Posts: 2,827
Z9 with Flash not working: an obscure reason

Today I spent nearly all day trying to figure out why my Z9 was refusing to work with any of my flash units.  Despite having owned the Z9 for nearly 2 years now this is the first time I have actually bothered to try fitting a flash to the hotshoe - I normally just use my D850 if I want to use flash (rarely these days for most of the stuff I do)!

So eventually, after working through various ideas and failing I saved all settings and did a full reset:  problem solved, flash system working. So I re-loaded the settings hoping the problem was a temporary glitch .. but no, the flash was back to refusing to work again.  No access to "flash mode" settings with the flash symbol with a circle round it indicating flash disabled. Hmmm.

So I reset again and proceeded this time to laboriously redo all my setting manually.  That should work I thought - umm but no!  Back to flash not working again!

So I started selectively disabling various settings starting with the "Setup" menu and almost immediately found the culprit:   Silent Mode !!

Disable Silent Mode and the flash system gets re-enabled. It seems that Silent Mode for some reason disables the hotshoe!  I have no idea why.   Is this a Z9 bug or an intended feature I wonder?  It doesn't seem to make much sense.

Nowhere have I found any documentation from Nikon warning about this.  I wish they would include a warning IN-CAMERA (via the ? info button perhaps) and also a note in the user manual.

Having done a search I see that this issue has previously been obscurely mentioned in a post somewhere .. but I bet many users don't know about it!

Frank

FrankG's gear list:FrankG's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z9 Nikon Z8
Nikon D850 Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow