“Best” possible MF black and white quality

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gurtch Regular Member • Posts: 176
“Best” possible MF black and white quality

Hi folks. Old timer here, first darkroom I built was in 1959.  I have been fortunate (as an Amateur) to use fine quality equipment. I used Hasselblad 500C, Pentax 67, and 645. For 35mm I used Leica, Pentax and Zeiss. My enlarger was a Besselar with condenser head, cold light head and color head. I was looking at my father’s MF negatives and the prints I have made from them via scanning the negs.  I want to go on a B&W binge using my GFX 100S, to see what really good quality it (and me) is capable of. Because I am 86, I will place restraints on myself, for example I will hand hold depending on IBIS to do its job. Although I will likely take all my lenses with me in the car, I will most likely use the lightest lens I have, the 50mm f3.5, at aperture’s of f11 or f16, all using auto focus. Some interesting decisions to make include:

1. I will probably select  Fuji B&W film emulation Neopan Across  100, even though it does not effect the raw format image. I do this as it makes the image in the viewfinder B&W, to aid me in composition.

2. I process the raw images with DXO Photolab 4, utilizing their lens corrections.

3. How to convert the raw color images to B&W. I can use Silver Efex Pro 2, Alien Skin Exposure 3, and maybe other esoteric  converters I have somewhere. Should I select Fuji Across as the conversion emulation in this software?

4.Any useful advantage of using REAL filters on the taking lens, such as my old time favorite, orange filter.

5. The biggest print I can make with my Epson 7800 is 24”x32”. I don’t know where I can hang it as our 2 bedroom condo is loaded with my very big prints already. But if the end result tempts me I may just print it to look at it. 
6. I intend to do the digital equivalents of dodging and burning in edges and corners, etc.

Thanks, I am out to have fun this winter.

Dave in NJ

gurtch's gear list:gurtch's gear list
Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100S Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) +13 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow