Fujinon GF55 F1.7 Review

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fcracer Senior Member • Posts: 1,763
Fujinon GF55 F1.7 Review

I've posted a review of the relatively new GF55 F1.7 on my non-commercial blog: https://fcracer.com/fujinon-gf55-f1-7-review/

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Pros

• Compact size and low weight
  • Gorgeous bokeh
  • Excellent contrast and resolution

Cons

• Aberrations at the edge with point light sources
  • Focus is slow for a modern lens
  • Focus mechanism is noisy

Conclusion

We waited a long, long time for a semi wide-angle, wide-aperture lens for the GFX system, and Fujinon has largely delivered a gem of a lens. It has stunning sharpness wide open in the center and when stopped down to F4, right across the image. The bokeh is beautiful and looks especially creamy when compared to the razor-sharp subject.

The only downsides to the lens are the distant point light source aberrations at the edges from F1.7 to F2.8 and the relatively slow and noisy focusing mechanism. The aberrations especially bother me and require some thought when using the lens. One great benefit of the GFX system has been that the lenses have been universally excellent. We rarely have to invest time to get to know a lens before using it.

Image @ 100% to show the aberrations at the frame edge (F1.7 vs. F4)

Fujifilm will no doubt sell tons of these lenses, and I can see owners posting beautiful real-world images with them. However, I’m not sure if it lives up to the “new standard for the GFX system” as Fujifilm’s marketing states. I wish they had used a Linear Motor focusing mechanism and found a way to give us fewer aberrations.

As is always the case with lens design, the engineers have to make a number of compromises to achieve their commercial goals. It’s clear that Fujifilm prioritized size and weight for this lens, while trying to maximize image quality. I don’t see it becoming my favourite lens on the GFX system, but I do see myself making great use of it.

Full review can be found here.

-- hide signature --

Travel, photography and gear: fcracer.com

fcracer's gear list:fcracer's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica M11 Sony a7R V Fujifilm GFX 100 II Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +23 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow