Auto focus on Stars

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
pedz
pedz Regular Member • Posts: 232
Auto focus on Stars

I'm 99% sure that no general purpose camera can do this but it seems entirely plausible.  Have an option similar to eye tracking where the camera goes to a completely different algorithm whose objective is to focus on stars.  There are auto focus hook ups for telescopes so the technology is definitely there.  It is just that no one that I'm aware of has put it into a general purpose camera.

The problem is that temperature affects the focus so focusing at 10 p.m. will result in good focus for a while but by 4 a.m. the focus will very likely be off enough to make your images not worth while.  Teaching the camera to focus on stars and then adding the ability to focus every 15 minutes or some programmable timer would get the general purpose cameras like the R5 one step above the rest for astrophotography.

The other sad thing is Sony at one point had the ability to add apps to their cameras.  I thought that was a genius idea but I believe someone told me that they had stopped doing that and, of course, the other manufacturers never picked it up but that would solve unique problems like focusing on stars.  It could be a specialized app that is loaded and does the work.  The few that want it could get it while the majority would not be hit with any penalty.

-- hide signature --

Thank you,
pedz

pedz's gear list:pedz's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +4 more
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow