Farewell from the R3's

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,063
Farewell from the R3's

After 2 years, 250+ weddings, 1,000,000+ shots, it's unfortunately time to retire the R3's and return to Sony.

The cameras themselves have been close to faultless. When coming from the A9II's, I had a few key criteria:

• AF on par with the A9II's
  • An improvement in build quality
  • Silent shutter that 'just works' in all conditions
  • A body that's comfortable to shoot vertically

As this season has gone on, the R3's have had one big drawback that I've just not been able to ignore; size & weight. Sure, I could drop down to R5's etc - but I then lose that all important silent shutter.

It's not so much the bodies that are the problems, it's the lenses. My kit takes some hammer and I need L series build quality - but those f1.2 primes are just an obscene size and weight. Based on Canon's recent releases, that won't be changing anytime soon.

The final icing on the cake was the difficulties in using Godox flashes with the R3, meaning I'm pretty much cornered into using EL-5's - and let me tell you, they're not fun to be lugging around on a busy dance floor.

I'm sure I'll be back to Canon at some point, but when looking at comparable Sony setups, the 3kg+ weight saving for my average setup is something I just can't ignore - especially now 2024 has over 150 weddings in diary.

R3's - you've been a blast. But Canon, I beg you to release some f1.4 L series RF primes that focus on keeping size and weight down.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Sony a1 Sony a7 IV Fujifilm X100VI Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +23 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow