SrMi wrote:

chrisfisheye wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

chrisfisheye wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

chrisfisheye wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

charlyee wrote:

Hello all, I am new to the A7RV, exactly 3 weeks to the date as a matter of fact. I am still learning of course but i was wondering if some you can post, which RAW mode you use and why?

Thank you very much in advance.

For event work, I shoot Compressed RAW for the faster frame rate and smaller files. For scenics, I shoot Lossless Compressed for ultimate IQ. I thought I would shoot Lossless Compressed M (26MP) for event work, but decided not to because this file format is incompatible with Adobe's Denoise AI

Oh ok..

I have found information which confirms what you and SrMi say

A bit disappointing from Adobe, I am not the only one surprised that it works only with pure raw.

AFAIK, Lossless M and S can be processed with Adobe. It's just Adobe's Denoise AI that won't work. DxO PureRAW and PhotoLab won't process the files at all. This is because the files have been demosaiced in-camera and aren't actually raw but more like pseudo-raw. DxO also won't process Canon's M and S RAW files, for the same reason. You could always use Topaz Denoise to noise-reduce JPEGs processed from M and S RAW files, although I suspect that would be less effective.

On the plus side, reviews indicate that if you're shooting at low ISO and don't need post-production noise reduction, the M RAW files actually resolve more detail than native 24-26MP cameras.

and DxO's DeepPRIME noise reduction and I regularly shoot up to ISO 25,600.

Thank you.

Yes, I understand the reasons but this is still a bit unexpected . I would expect also jpeg to work.

I hope they will support other formats in the future.

I'm not holding my breath. RAW is raw, and quasi-RAW is not.

This is not the question.

Of course jpeg for instance can benefit from AI for noise reduction..

Yes, but the AI NR algorithms are completely different for raws than JPEGs. The powerful AI NRs of DxO and Adobe require non-demosaiced data.

Completely different, maybe you exaggerate a bit..

Check out this Adobe article for more details. The algorithms are trained to perform demosaicing and denoising in a single step.

Denoise demystified

Also:

"... as with our previous Enhance features, we continued to train directly from the raw data, which enables us to optimize the end-to-end quality. In other words, when you apply Denoise to a raw file, you’re also getting Raw Details as part of the deal."

I mean if AI works so well, it is first because it works with an image, it is easy to understand that AI can be very powerful with NR. With jpeg also I would expect it to work

Besides AI can adapt very easily. It is an over simplified view, but you can train it with jpeg and it will work. Yes, simplified but AI is extremely powerful !

And there are plenty of jpeg images in the world. .. old noisy jpeg files also to enhance for instance.

If this does not work with these files this is a limitation, but I guess they will support it in the future.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow