More Cattle Egrets, different lens this time.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
IanColley Contributing Member • Posts: 507
More Cattle Egrets, different lens this time.

Had another chance today to go and play at my local lake. This time I took the Oly 150mm f2.0 with me  ......  thanks again Dave.

Today I wanted to use CAF and MF to do a bit of a comparison and to see if the Fly by Wire MF would be ok for flying birds, although not swallow fast.

It was too bright for me to use f2.0 in mechanical shutter (no ND's), I was topping out at 1/8000 sec at f2.8 mostly. As a result of stopping down I was getting a greatly reduced burst speed and a noticeable shutter lag on the EM1mkii. Focus acquisition was quick and accurate but it didn't like playing nicely in CAF (5x5 grid) so I would pick off a couple and refocus and pick off a couple.

Manual focus was easier than I expected. The focus ring has next to no resistance so you have to continually slow yourself down while focussing on the birds but it worked well.

Anyway, the first five photos are CAF, the second five are MF and a bonus duck photo, also MF. Shot Raw, lightly edited, cropped to taste and downsized in Affinity Photo 2. Geez it's a nice lens.

now the manual focus shots

not quite hit focus properly, bit of extra sharpening required but I like it.

........ and the ducks

Think I might play the same games with my 50-200SWD next time out and see how it compares to the 150mm f2.

Regards  Ian Colley

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow