G9ii v G9 some images

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jrsforums Senior Member • Posts: 2,567
G9ii v G9 some images

I did some testing for my own purposes to understand and anticipate the G9ii limits and capabilities in varying situations. For example, important to me is understanding how I can determine, while shooting, when I am in danger of clipping the highlights. After learning DR boost was not supported in SH modes, I wanted to see what that might mean…though, frankly, when I’m shooting high speed, detail in dark shadows is probably not one of my primary concerns.

In a couple threads, people have expressed concern on the G9ii vs the G9…and the G9ii used in the high fps ‘SH’ modes.  While many of my shots would have to be redone for ‘presentation comparison’ purposes, I did prepare a comparison of the 3 at ‘0’EV.  (Images below). These show, to me, that these images to be relatively the same level of noise (when push to 200%), even with the add’l MP of the G9ii…even at high FPS…when properly exposed.

while I do not believe in test of underexposing and punching in post, I was very happy with the G9ii (single shot) exposed down to -5EV.  While increased grain, it was easily handled by today’s denoise processing.  The G9 and the G9ii SH20 both had significant increased noise starting below -3 1/3EV…G9 magenta, G9ii SH cyan/green.  At each drop below ‘0’ EV, each showed slightly more grain than the G9ii (single), which was very good throughout.  Clipping levels of all 3 started at relatively the same point.

here are the 3 ‘0’ EV images. They were all developed in Lightroom, Adobe Color profile, default settings.  (Some minor brightness (“Exposure”) tweaking to have white strip on WhiBal card at similar RGB levels).

jrsforums's gear list:jrsforums's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G9 II Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +11 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow