Ultra-light tripod mod..

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Eric-P Regular Member • Posts: 332
Ultra-light tripod mod..

I rarely use a tripod, but occasionally, I would be in a situation where I wish I had a tripod. However, like many of us, I'm not prepared to lug around a tripod just for the odd occasional use.. (Typical lightweight mini tripod that is just a foot high is no good for me.)

So, I set about trying to create a reasonable sized tripod that is light / compact enough to permanently live in my back pack.. Since my camera setup rarely weighs above 1kg, it doesn't need to be a heavy-duty setup..

I bought the lightest, full-size tripod I could find (in my case it's a K&F one, weighing in at 1.0kg including ball head). I then threw away the 2 bottom sections of the 5 section leg, and just put rubber feet over the end. The remaining tripod now still extends to a respectable 40" height, which is still a good useable height. I then discard the ball head and replace with just a mini arca clamp screwed directly to the top of the tripod plate. (Sunwayfoto do one that weighs just 50g including the arca plate..) Also threw away unnecessary bits like the metal weigh-hook/bolt, to be replaced by just a string loop.

- So, final weight - sub 700g, under 12" folded, and extend to 40" working height. So if using one of my light camera setup, camera + tripod comes in under 1.5kg.. Not had for long, but so far, it seems like it could permanently live in my backpack..

In my case I bought a K&F tripod (sub $100), but I think other generic brands will also have something similar that can be given the same treatment. So, this little exercise is something for you to consider if you are on the fence about carrying a tripod..

Sunwayfoto arca clamp that has centre 3/8in thread, so screwed directly to tripod. 41g

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow