Zf viewfinder experience vs Z8/Z9

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nhr5005 Regular Member • Posts: 201
Zf viewfinder experience vs Z8/Z9

Hi,

I posted this as a comment in another thread, but might get more response/thoughts as a standalone thread.

I'm using a Nikon DSLR and am holding out to see what Z6/Z7iii series are like (although the Z8 is quite tempting). I really love an OVF and thus far haven't been completely sold with the Nikon offerings (although I understand you just get used to an EVF over an OVF). I had hoped the new processor in the Zf might foreshadow what is to come in the eventual Z6/7 update.

I recently had a chance to play with the Z6ii, Zf, and Z8/Z9 side by side at the B&H store in NYC while I was there. In the past, when I tried the Z6ii in another store, I thought I had experienced a lag in the EVF view--e.g. you pan, and then the image follows a finite amount of time later. This time, that wasn't really my impression--when panning, it seemed more like the whole EVF became blurred, almost like you were squinting, and then it returned to normal when you were done panning. I found this a similar experience with the Z6ii and the Zf (I had hoped the Zf would be greatly improved with the new processor, but that wasn't my experience). Overall I didn't find it pleasant. This was also in a store w/ artificial lighting, so I'm not sure if a bright sunny day outdoors behaves differently.

The sales assocaite then showed me a 'high frame rate' setting on the Z8 viewfinder that made a big difference--it was actually pretty real-time, or at least a huge improvement over the other models. Pretty convincing for me coming from an OVF. Now, I'm not sure if the Zf has this setting (the associate didn't think so, and I didn't have time to play too much in the menus), or something similar.

Does anyone have any direct experience betwee the Zf and the other models (and more than my ~30 minutes of play time with them) to compare?

Thanks!

nhr5005's gear list:nhr5005's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +6 more
Nikon Z8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow