Pentax Trade-In Deals Work For Me

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
MikeFreeze
MikeFreeze Regular Member • Posts: 181
Pentax Trade-In Deals Work For Me

Just a little note to inform others that the Pentax trade-in deals can be the deciding point for whether you elect to get a new camera or lens.  I have availed myself of 2 of these deals this year and have been satisfied with them.

Firstly, let me say that I was one of those who had absolutely no interest in buying the K3-III at what I considered to be a ridiculous price of $2,000+ U.S. My personal evaluation was that this was at best a $1500 camera - I realize that others might value it higher, and I respect that to others it may indeed be worth that much, but it just wasn't worth that much to me. But earlier this year Pentax lowered the price to $1700, and they offered a $250 trade-in on older Pentax cameras including the K-5.  And so I took the offer; for $1450 plus my 9-year-old K-5 I got a new K3-III.

I started a thread some while back about the difference in the older 55-300 lens vs. the newer PLM version, and the overwhelming opinion was that the newer PLM version was far superior, especially when paired with the new K3-III.  And so, when Pentax recently had the lens trade-in deals, I bit again and traded in my older 55-300 for the newer PLM version.  With the $100 trade-in, plus the Black Friday pricing of $50 off, I bought the newer PLM version for $250 plus my 8-year-old 55-300 lens.

All total then, I paid $1700 plus my old K-5 and old 55-300 for the K3-III and the 55-300 PLM.  I realize everyone's personal financial values are different from mine, and you may or may not agree that this was a good value purchase.  But for me, it represents a good value - I have a much better camera and lens for a price that I felt was fair.

FWIW, one of my main purposes for this camera and lens combo is what I call bicycle photography - I go on long bicycle tours (think coast-to-coast 4,000 mile rides) and carry my camera and 2 lenses (the 55-300 and the 20-40 limited) and a small tripod in the handlebar bag.  I usually leave before sunrise in the morning and stop often for photos - in the early morn I ride with the 55-300 mounted and ready for wildlife, then switch to the 20-40 a few hours after sunrise.  My K-5 and older 55-300 worked well for this purpose (other than not having good autofocus), and I expect the newer camera and lens to work much better - hopefully I'll go on another tour next year.

Just wanted to post this to let others know that the Pentax trade-in deals might be something for you to consider.  They worked well for me, although there was some back-and-forth emailing involved to get the Ricoh web store to accept my trade-in coupon code - no big deal.  You have to send them your gear and wait a week or so for them to receive it, then they give you a coupon code to get the reduced price on their website.  It worked well for me and the trade-in was the deciding factor for me getting the new gear.  Best wishes to all,

-- hide signature --

Mike Freeze
Amateur Photog Since 1974

MikeFreeze's gear list:MikeFreeze's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 XS Lens +3 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow