My first love! Made a mistake on the post........

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Weegee
Weegee Veteran Member • Posts: 3,150
My first love! Made a mistake on the post........

Hit the wrong key and therefore no text.

Any how, as many of you got into photography, you probably lusted after a certain camera. For me it was the Zeiss Contaflex Super from 1959-62. I loved it's style, it's size and beautiful metal body. Sadly, I could never convince my parents to buy me one. I'd estimate that back then it cost close to $ 1200 in today's money.

A few years later, when I had saved enough money from snow shoveling and lawn mowing I went looking for a camera. The Contaflex was still attractive but I figured a full interchangeable lens SLR was the better choice. I wanted a Nikon F badly but didn't't have enough money ( another year of money making chores? ). Instant gratification ( like most young kids ) was the winner. I bought a Canonflex RP with 50mmf/1.8 lens. Quick wind on the bottom like a Leicavit. It served me well and a few years later I bought a Canon RM. Sadly, Canon went ahead and changed their lens mount. I had 3 useless lenses for my future Canon buys.

So, I sold everything and bought a Nikon F and stayed with Nikon until I retired and felt that Olympus would be a better camera for my back and travels.

Do you guys have a favorite 1st camera that was unobtainable?

Incidentally, that beautiful Zeiss Contaflex Super is available now for $ 50.00. I may just get my first love!

Zeiss Contaflex Super ( 1959-62 )

Canonflex RP 1962

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow