AF-tracking - ZF vs Z8

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,258
AF-tracking - ZF vs Z8

Obviously I know the Z8 is darn near the top of the line when it comes to things like tracking and features, but was wondering if anyone on here has both a Zf and Z8 that could comment on the differences in AF specifically low light (not so much tracking, but shooting in dim conditions mostly).

I'm probably going to be selling my converted Z5 (IR converted) as I've come to the decision that I'm probably not going to be doing a lot of IR photography, and would rather have a little bit more capable 24MP camera for low-light and other times when I don't need high res, so a Z6 II or Zf, but am not sure if there is any advantage to getting the Zf (other than it would tick both the low-light and fast AF checkboxes) over saving $400 and just getting the Z6 II.

I wouldn't really be using this camera for any sports or wildlife (that's why I have the Z8) and am just wondering if it's worth the extra $400 to get the Zf over the Z6 II. I do see that supposedly the Zf has a bit better low-light AF detection perhaps, despite having the same sensor as the Z6 II (not sure if this was part of the improvements that came with the Expeed 7).

I guess my two priorities here are good low-light AF detection (not necessarily tracking) and good high ISO performance (yes I know the Z7 II is only about 1-stop off of the 24MP cameras, but it's low-light detection is not quite as good either;  it's better than the Z5, but I think it still trails the Z6/Zf and can be a little frustrating in really low light).

-- hide signature --

NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread/article..

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z8 Nikon Zf Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +6 more
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow