New to lighting - Continuous lighting setup for filming in music studio

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
4863 Media
4863 Media Junior Member • Posts: 45
New to lighting - Continuous lighting setup for filming in music studio

Most of my video experience, which isn't a ton but isn't zero, has been outside in large areas or inside relying on house/stage lighting (concerts), so I've never really needed to fuss with my own lighting. But I did some work in a music studio last month and the lighting was absolutely terrible, and it convinced me to get my own lights for when I go back to shoot again next month in this same studio.

My question is about white balancing the lights. The lights I got (Smallrig RC220B) have adjustable color, so I should have some flexibility. So I'll have two of those, which will be augmented by the studios lighting (basically just standard interior LEDs). But I also got some vintage Edison-style LEDs (2700K) to use as accent lighting and a little bit of fill in between where the different instruments will be set up.

My assumption is that it will be best to match my key light to the studio's interior lights. I would use the second Smallrig as fill, which I'm guessing also needs to be match the studio's lights? Or can it match the 2700K accent lights to warm things up or will that just look weird? I'm going to play around with it a bit at home, but obviously my home is not set up anything like the studio so I'm trying to anticipate so I can minimize setup time and testing on site.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow