Help - Moon on EOS M50

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
avifish New Member • Posts: 3
Help - Moon on EOS M50

Hey guys! First time posting here, but I've been reading thru threads here for a while trying to figure out this whole photography thing. I really like astrophotography, and up until now, I've only really tried to get pictures of the stars and the milky way.

So far, I have the following lenses for my M50:

• Canon 15-45mm f/3.5-6.3 STM
  • Canon 22mm f2 STM
  • Sigma 16mm f/1.4

Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to get a decent picture of the Milky Way, but I think it's just because I live in a pretty light-polluted area (New Jersey) and haven't had many chances to go somewhere actually dark.

I wanna take pictures of the moon, though I'm not really sure where to start. Like before even continuing, I feel the biggest restriction for me is budget - I'm a med student and this is a really expensive hobby. I was wondering what budget lenses can work for moon photography, like really close up if that's even possible.

I've tried reading a lot about teleconverters and different lenses, but I ended up just getting really confused.

Pretty much all of my astro attempts are based on Marco Nero's posts; for like the moon pictures, he used an M6 + EF 100-400mmL II + 1.4x III + 2x III extenders and got this: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62276614?image=6

I bought Canon's EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM lens yesterday from MPB for really cheap, and I also bought Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 2x DG - I was wondering if this could work for close-up pictures of the moon, and if not, which lens can I use instead?

Also, I had a couple other questions:

With the teleconverters, can I just stack two 2x converters and 4x my zoom to 1200mm?

Tokina has this 900mm lens for only 500$ - is that any good for astro? at first, I was gonna buy this, but then I saw a thread about how it's a mirror lens and its hard to focus or something.

How do I attach a telescope to my camera? I feel like if I figure that out, I could sorta avoid this whole lens thing altogether.

Sorry I'm so clueless about a lot of this stuff, but thank you so much! I appreciate the help!

Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS M50 II Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow