S5II or S5IIX from Fuji

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nebeldiener
Nebeldiener Regular Member • Posts: 192
S5II or S5IIX from Fuji

Hi,

All my camera gear burned down (insurance should cover it). Because I lost everything (appart from a Fuji X-H1 which is worth nothing where I live), I'm thinking about switching systems again.

I started with Panasonic m43 (G6, G85, GX85, GX850) and used it for some years. Then I switched to Fuji (X-Pro2) and ended up with a X-H2.

I mainly shoot portraits, events, street, documentary and a tiny bit video.

• I'm a bit hesitant going from 40mp back to 24 with the S5II. Is 24mp still enough for client work in 2023?
  • The S5II has an active fan. I know that it is still dust and splash proof, but not freeze proof anymore. Is this a concern?
  • I'm not sure if I should get the S5II or the X. The feature to directly record to SSDs sounds awesome, but I don't like the lack of an mechanical shutter.
  • I used the filmsimulations quite a bit with Fuji. For me it was an easy and fast way to have presentable images. Could I achive something similar with the new real time LUT feature?

Fuji lenses in the long run seem to be more afordable. There are the Panasonic f1.8 and Sigma f2.0 primes but appart from that there isn't much. How good are the 14-28 and 20-60?

I was thinking about the S5II with the 20-60 as a kit lens and then buying the 85/f1.8 + 50/f1.8 + 35/f1.8. And then maybe buying the 14-28 down the line.

Edit: Fuji X-H2 and Lumix S5II cost about the same where I'm from, so this isn't a deciding factor.

Nebeldiener's gear list:Nebeldiener's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S5II Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F1.8 Panasonic 35mm F1.8
Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow