How are Sony's latest cameras regarding star eater troubles?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,966
Re: How are Sony's latest cameras regarding star eater troubles?

zurubi wrote:

Jon555 wrote:

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

The star eater issue with Sony cameras was well documented in the past. I am wondering how the latest models fare in this regard.

Has Sony fixed this or made it less of a problem?

Greg.

It's a feature of how they do their lossy Raw files - just save Raws as uncompressed or lossless compressed (as the camera allows).

That’s incorrect. It’s a problem of several brands and irrespective of raw format, compressed or not . You can Google about this; there are hundreds of threads all over the different forums. Some models have it, some not and it’s baked in hardware.

I think Sony has a particular issue but yes, part of the problem is indeed not related to lossy raw and I should have spent more time replying. What I was really saying the is Sony lossy raw encoding produces artefacts when you have large brightness variations in 16-pixel horizontal groups (of the same colour, so 32 pixel groups on the sensor) and you should consider not using lossy raw for Astro shots if you already have Sony.

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 GoPro Hero9 Black +30 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow