My experience of smartphones and m43

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Domdooley Junior Member • Posts: 46
My experience of smartphones and m43

I just wanted to share my experience of m43 and smartphones which in short is that I much prefer cameras for taking photos (surprise!).

I’ve just got a iPhone after years of Samsungs, both are heavily prompted on their camera abilities. Due to the time of year and country I live in (uk) I haven’t had the chance to fully test the iPhone in good light but I’m sure it’ll be great, and the limited opportunity’s I’ve had backs this up. In not so great light it can’t compete with my f1.4 or f1.7/1.8 primes. This is partly image quality and partly because I cant control iso or shutter speed etc. It automatically slows the shutter which makes stopping motion impossible, my em5 mkiii, a prime and dxo if necessary are much better.

The lack of manual control is a surprise, I don’t think it’s possible to control shutter speed or iso manually with the native app, I think I have to buy a new one from the App Store. Unless anyone knows different.

And obviously there is no substitute for having interchangeable lenses and the choice and ability that brings. And the ergonomics and flexible screen are also not comparable for me. My choice of m43 lenses are all relatively small and light and not difficult to carry.

I have an em5 mkiii, it’s small and weather sealed and works perfectly for my needs. I don’t use it at much as I would like, I had considered selling it before I get this phone, but definitely not.

If I’m buying something that can do many things including taking passable pictures a smartphone can be great, and I’m sure for days out in good light it will be brilliant. But if I want a tool for taking photos, even as a hobby and just of my family, M43 (or any other dedicated camera) is much better in my experience.

Sorry if this is obvious, just wanted to share

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow