Processing HEIC/HEIF files on a windows computer

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Steerpike Regular Member • Posts: 113
Processing HEIC/HEIF files on a windows computer

My partner has an iPhone 15 Pro and thus, we have the option to use HEIC/HEIF format files. I have downloaded the two windows plug-ins to allow me to view HIEC files - both Irfanview and the 'Photos' program will both open them just fine. But Photoshop Elements will not open the images - I've tried three ways at least.

I've tried opening (importing) them in the organizer, but get a message that "the file is damaged or is in a format that cannot be included ...". I've tri'ed opening them with 'Open in Camera Raw', and get an error "the file cannot be opened as its an unsupported file type". I've tried opening them in the Photo Editor directly (File/Open) and this crashes the app completely.

Surely by 2023 we should be able to open HEIC files, especially since the native Windows Photos can, as well as IrfanView?

My Samsung S23+ also offers me HEIC format, but I'm not keen to try it until I can open them in more applications.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow