R5 / EF 100-400 II Seems to Miss Bird Focus a lot

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jonny04 New Member • Posts: 18
R5 / EF 100-400 II Seems to Miss Bird Focus a lot

Hi everyone. I saw an old thread from 2020/ 21 on this topic but wasn't sure whether to use the same thread for my question or create a new one.

To give a context, I am a nature photographer (primarily birds) and have been using the R6 (original version) for the past 6-8 months and just upgraded to a refurb R5 during Thanksgiving.

I have been using the R5 for the last 4 days daily now trying to test it out in the field and I cannot get satisfactory auto focus recognition from this camera vs the R6. To the extent that I would say that if the miss rate for the R6 was 15%, for R5 it's at least 70%. My process of auto focus is to use single point focus to get the lens in the vicinity and then animal eye detection to get it razor sharp.

I'm using the same lens (EF 100-400 ii), tried it both with and without a 1.4x extender and the results are the same.

Even with a stationary bird 10 feet from my feet, I am seeing auto focus sometimes struggle with locking on to a red bird on the ground. Firmware is latest for both the camera and the lens.

None of the online forums explain this big of an auto focus difference between the two cameras. Because it's a refurb, I also have a thought in the back of my mind as to whether this might be an issue in this piece vs R5 in general.

Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow