X-T5+8-16 fell on tile floor

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
graystubble Forum Member • Posts: 64
X-T5+8-16 fell on tile floor

Yesterday... attached the XF 8-16mm (heavy!) to the X-T5, put it in my thin/small bag, set it on the cabinet top, probably too close to the edge, it was unbalanced, fell over, and down about 4 feet to the tile floor.

It looks like the back screen (and secondarily, peak design tripod mount corner) took most of the impact, hopefully acting like a crumple zone.

The camera still worked afterwards! Screen lit up, and you could make out a vague idea of a picture, but I had to use the EVF to do anything in practice.

For once, the extra protection plan I bought for this body is likely paying for itself. I snapped the cameraphone picture below right before the local shop (Texas, USA) sent it off to Fuji on my behalf. Said they're slower than other brands, it'll be an about month.

shattered screen on back of X-T5 post impact

No such protection plan on my 8-16. A guy at the shop too a few photos through another X-H? and agreed that it seemed like it worked fine. When I turn the barrel to zoom, it's not as smooth as it used to be, and if you put your ear up to it, there's occasionally a bit of a gritty sound.

Thanks to my longtime lurking here, I had the idea to go out to the backyard and do a decentering style test on the XF 8-16mm with the (non-dropped) X-T4 body, where I manually focussed the lens in the middle took a shot, and compared that to shots taken with the camera moved to put the focussed object at the four 1/3rd frame crosspoints (because that's visually easy). I also did the same test with the XF 18mm F1.4, for comparison.

I could share those photos, but it was late, the light was poor, I was in a hurry, and I didn't do a great job. Maybe I'll redo them. Regardless, I tentatively concluded that the lens seems fine/usable, at least for my amateur needs.

My leftover concern, and question for this forum, is: given the possibly less-smooth zoom and faint sound of grit (?), albeit little to no apparent visual impact, should I send it to Fuji for checkout/repair? What is the cost benefit there? What other tests could I do?

graystubble's gear list:graystubble's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm X-T5 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 8-16mm F2.8 +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow