EOS R50 HDMI Out, poor quality?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KoboldR New Member • Posts: 2
EOS R50 HDMI Out, poor quality?

Hello, I recently bought an R50 for photography, but also a lot for live streaming videos. The streaming option via USB-C is fine, but unfortunately only FHD at 30fps. For the videos I record live I want to use FHD with 60fps or 4k30. I have an Elgato Cam Link 4k for this, which I've been using with other devices for a while.

During the first tests with the Cam Link 4k, I noticed that the picture quality via the HDMI output is not really good. Thin straight lines such as guitar strings are displayed with a sawtooth and recorded accordingly, and overall the details are more poor than good.

If I record a video with the R50 with the same settings, download it and watch it, I think it's worlds better. No sawtooth, fonts can be read, etc.. USB-C streaming videos, i.e. FHD with 30fps, also have no sawtooth problems.

If I connect the camera directly to a monitor via HDMI cable, the sawtooth problems are also visible, so it has nothing to do with the Elagto Cam Link 4k. I have also tried different HDMI cables, but without any improvement.

Shouldn't the quality of videos via HDMI be just as good as videos recorded on the card? After all, according to the data sheet, the videos are passed on via HDMI in the set resolutions and qualities, at least that's what it says.

I'm a bit disappointed and at a loss at the moment, because if that's how the HDMi output is, then there's nothing I can do about it. Then either the quality is simply worse than Canon's specifications, or they are supposed to be worse in order to keep the distance to the Too models, or it is a problem that can perhaps be fixed with a firmware update.

Do you have any ideas, or perhaps even information, because I would like to know what is going on and whether there is any chance of improvement.

I'm recording the whole thing on a Mac Mini M1 or a Macbook Air M1, all with the latest OS. Thanks for all the info

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Ali
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow