Z8 / Z9 video codecs

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tayfran New Member • Posts: 23
Z8 / Z9 video codecs

I'd love some input from those more experienced on the video front. How significant  are the benefits of using N-Raw 12 bit vs 10 bit H.265 on the Z8 vs the 8 bit internal recording of the Z6?

I am a photographer by trade but dabble in video for personal projects. I am well versed in DaVinci Resolve but like many who start their journey in the photo side I felt very let down by the limited the ability to recover highlights/shadows and manipulate colors compared to what can be done to RAW photos. I've been using a z6 for video the past few years and love the quality other than this.

I now have a Z8 and am trying to weigh the benefits of Nraw vs its massive file sizes. Will I notice much of a difference in sticking with the 10 bit H265 vs the 8 bit files I was getting from the z6? In addition to bit depth I will be shooting in log vs the flat profile on the z6 which will hopefully further help dynamic range.  Similarly,  will going to NRaw 12 bit over the H265 files show me enough of a benefit to justify the huge memory commitment?

I plan on doing some very non scientific testing myself but would love to hear other input.  I could probably benefit from fine tuning my color grading skills in DR but that's another topic.

Nikon Z6 Nikon Z8 Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow