Using a second Westcott trigger as remote for flash metering

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JoeSchmoe007 Contributing Member • Posts: 547
Using a second Westcott trigger as remote for flash metering

I've never used off camera flash.

I've watched numerous video tutorials and here my question:

if I want to use a flash meter I need to trigger the flash. I noticed Sekonic makes flash meters that can trigger some popular strobe systems like Profoto but not the smaller brands like Godox or Westcott.

The only way to trigger the flash to meter is to take a trigger of the camera and bring it next to the subject because you have to hold a meter next to the subject face. Which is somewhat annoying because then you have to put it back on the camera. Of course you can bring the whole camera next to the subject (just saw Adorama's Gavin Hoey doing that in one of his videos) but this is also annoying, especially when camera is tethered and/or on the tripod.

So I wonder - can I use 2nd trigger of the same brand (possibly get a previous used model) on the same channel just to trigger the flash? Any kind of changes to the flash settings will be done by "main" trigger that will always remain on the camera.

Does this make sense? Will it work? Can this be achieved by a different method?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow