Suggested tripod for a 100-400 A7rv setup that I can still carry on my pack

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
grabsunscreen New Member • Posts: 3
Suggested tripod for a 100-400 A7rv setup that I can still carry on my pack

Looking for some help from the community.

I've recently gone through some big changes, both of which have come with their own growing pains

1. moved to Manhattan

2. upgraded to the A7rV (coming from the A7riii)

Photography is not my profession, it's my hobby. Living in NYC now I have unlimited opportunities to step outside my door and shoot all sorts of different things. It's allowed me to expand my horizons as a shooter which I love. Upgrading to the A7rV has been great for the aspects I was looking for (improved AF, articulating screen, and finally being able to make my focus box a bright red vs the dull grey on a7riii) but has also come with it's challenges. I did not anticipate the added level of precision that's been needed now with a 61mp sensor. I realize I was "getting away" with a lot more on my a7riii and now shooting with this camera requires me to really fine tune my approach and technique. I'm fine with this - it's a new challenge and it will make me a better shooter.

What I've really started to enjoy is using again my 100-400GM for longer zooms in the city - I like shooting across the river and isolating specific buildings, bridges, etc and I like shooting people and scenes from further away. This is a lens that I had bought a while ago and then never really used as much as I had intended. I am finding now that with this new camera and this lens that shooting at anything beyond ~200mm requires absolute perfection. Standing on the Manhattan bridge with the subways going by or anywhere on my tripod with the slightest breeze creates some movement that leaves me with an image I am not satisfied with. Again, I have previously not used this lens much and had been able to also get away with using my Peak Design travel tripod (CF) for most of the stuff I was previously shooting when it was needed. When I put this setup on this tripod now I feel like I've got a pumpkin sitting on toothpicks. Some examples have been trying to shoot at chest height the other day over the railings on the Dumbo side of the river and shooting into Manhattan (legs on the tripod pretty much fully extended) and on the street underneath the Manhattan bridge (not directly on the bridge). There was a slight breeze (wouldn't even call it a wind) when shooting at the river and there was some vibration in the ground under the bridge from the subways. In both situations I would not call this "major" vibration, but it was enough that when using the manual focus assist I could clearly notice my lens was bobbing up and down enough that it wouldn't allow me to capture a tack sharp image.

My question maybe is 2 parts:

1) Any suggestions for settling this down when shooting - I expect there will never be "perfect" conditions when shooting outside. There will always be some breeze and I'm not a locked down studio shooter or anything. I have tried shooting with IBIS on and off (traditionally when using a tripod i would always have the stabilization switched off). Happy to digest any advice you might have.

2) I think I need to upgrade my tripod to something much sturdier. In doing so though I'd still like to have a tripod that I can move around the city with and is manageable enough to be carried on the side of my Shimoda 25L pack. The compactness and weight of the Peak Design tripod is what I had originally liked about it - but the practicality of it is becoming less and less adequate. Are there suggestions for a sturdier setup that would still allow me to pack-strap this for vacations and moving about the city? Basically a travel tripod that has some serious sturdiness to it for the examples above.

If I'm simply experiencing some of the difficulties in shooting at longer focal lengths, then by all means let me know but I expect I should be able to manage some of these situations. Subway vibration maybe not as much but I would think there's a better setup that would handle a bit of a breeze a bit better? I also like to hike and bring my camera with me and I'd like to start using this 100-400 more often for this as well. I don't want to lug it around with me if I can't get a handle on being able to use it more effectively. I'm hoping to have a tripod that would be portable enough for these activities too even if it is slightly bigger than my Peak Design.

Appreciate the insights! Alot to unpack here maybe

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow