Traveling light; but how light is realistic?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Carlman Junior Member • Posts: 48
Traveling light; but how light is realistic?

For the first time ever, I went to a new city without a camera (other than my phone). I was maxed on personal carry-on's. Putting my fairly new Canon R8 into a checked bag made me nervous.

In the end, it was mostly ok since western Chicago suburbs in sub freezing temps while at work (IT/business stuff) isn't ideal anyway. However, the whole time I was there, I saw a few cool things to shoot. We had spectacular sunrises and sunsets.. and if I'd had a good camera, I could've made more of an effort to get shots, and done some really cool train yard photos.

So I couldn't help but think about whether to get a compact. Something like a Sony RX100.. But $1300 is a lot for a compact. I was hoping for $500 ish... And at that price, you're looking at 1/2-inch sensors with good zooms... for a couple more hundred, a 1" sensor. I want easy to use, fast focus, and able to fit in a large coat pocket... after that, it needs to shoot better photos than a modern smart phone, with some bokeh.

I looked at the Panasonic LUMIX ZS100, LX100, Canon G5x, G7x, etc... most had some limitations that kept me from considering it as an option. Focus speed is the biggest issue I have for all of these cameras. The Lumix cameras seem to be the best price to performance ratio for me. If I had to pick one today, it'd be the LX100.

I kept coming back to an interchangeable lens system from a value equation.

For half the Sony, I could buy the Sony ZV-E10, but is it pocketable?

For hundreds less, I could buy a used R10 w/ 18-150...

I have an R8, why not get the R10? I already know how to use it...  Why not just use the R8 you have, and get a small case for it and the 24-105/4. That'll be better than anything I can get for 1300 by a wide margin.

The R10 extends all my lenses for wildlife, so I could use that in my regular shooting when I go to the coast for bird and nature scenes.  So, that would serve 2 purposes...

Anyway, just rambling about my thoughts on a dilemma that comes up on occasion.  I guess I can stick to phone photography for true compact shooting, and it's ok.  You just can't enlarge it much.  Samples below of my recent trip to west Chicago.  (not Chicago)

Canon EOS R10 Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot G7 X Panasonic LX100 Panasonic ZS100 Ricoh Caplio R8 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
i8z
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow