Highlight recovery with DXO PL 7 Elite

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
José B
OP José B Forum Pro • Posts: 21,114
Spot Weighted :-) :-)

Digital Nigel wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

José B wrote:

I was looking for simple ways to recover blown highlights. So in DXO PL 7 Elite 1). I clicked on the Exposure Correction drop down menu i.e. Highlight Priority-Slight, Medium or Strong. In this case I use the latter and then 2). after that I click on Smart Lighting.

As we've come to expect, that changes tones throughout the entire image rather than just highlights. Could be appropriate or inappropriate depending on the situation.

Smart lighting will affect different tones differently, and in portrait shots like these, spot weighted should be used. That concentrates on getting faces right, and the slider can then be used to adjust other tones.

Thanks for the tip Nigel! I didn't even notice Spot Weighted (face was detected) in Smart Lighting because I thought it has only one adjustment which is Uniform.

Again I used Highlight Priority this time Slight and then Smart Lighting Spot Weighted. The 1-2 punch really works for me! And I get blue skies to boot

José B's gear list:José B's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Mark II Sony a6700 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5DS +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow