Exposure changes with focus point? A new one to me!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nosiesta
nosiesta Regular Member • Posts: 136
Exposure changes with focus point? A new one to me!

Hello all, hope everyone is well.

I've literally never noticed this before, in years of photography, including with Nikon... but we learn something new every day and all that blah blah!!

Today I was shooting on a tripod, in M mode with matrix metering. I was focus stacking an image and I noticed that the camera's evaluation of the metering changed depending on which focus point I used.

Z7ii, for what it's worth...

Eg, when using the central point the scene, the exposure was coming in at something like 1/10 at f8. When I selected the furthest away focus point (also the brightest area of the scene) the metering suggested I was slightly over exposed, so I increased the SS and ended up with about 1/15". I then selected the nearest point (happened to be the darkest) and the metering was 'off' again - I ended up here with around 1/8".

So in summary, without moving the camera (and no change in lighting conditions), the exposure was slightly different depending on the focus point.

For clarity again, this was in M (but I repeated it in A priority), with matrix metering.

So looks like the camera has a slight bias towards the area around the focus point when determining exposure. Which is a tad annoying!

Seems like this is 'a thing'... but is new to me!

Any thoughts, comments, experiences?

Thanks lots

nosiesta's gear list:nosiesta's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Nikkor Z 24-120mm F4 S Nikon Nikkor Z 26mm F2.8
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow