Some thoughts on the old snapshots ...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
elgol20
elgol20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,028
Some thoughts on the old snapshots ...

Every now and then I go back and try to make it simple again. Why? Just look at one of my portable rigs:

I really like to take nice snapshots of the scenes from an astro camp for example yet find it often hard to find the peace and time. For decent shots that even might be used for prints I did this years back:

either long exposure with a tracker and with the Nikon 14-24 F/2.8 zoom aperture set to F/4, left side, oder simple a small Sony RX100, right side. Crop extreme corner.

Easier were light weight alternatives, like the Nikon 20mm 1.8 G, left. Yet for example compared to the newer Sony FE 20mm f/1.8 not really good either:

From what is possible now is to use modern lenses, for example adapt Sony to the Nikon Z-mount, a decent copy of a Sigma Art 14mm f/1.4 seems best here, depending which field of view is preferred.

My old Nikon zoom at 14mm and f/4 compared to aperture 1.4 of this new Sigma, roughly comparable crops:

without a tracker there really seems quite some possibiliy now.

when doing 4 min exposure I even think to use a Sigma Art 40mm at f/1.4 instead and do a mosaic, if high quality is needed. that will surely beat that damn too good Sigma:-D. But then again, a quick snapshot for inbetween? Not really ...

-- hide signature --

Best regards
_____
Stefan

elgol20's gear list:elgol20's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D750 Nikon D810A Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Carl Zeiss Apo Sonnar T* 2/135 +8 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow