Third time lucky

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,566
Third time lucky

When I returned to Micro 4/3 I bought a GM5 - a camera I had owned from new first time around - but it didn't work out. The camera worked but with fraught with problems, from dust trapped in the filter stack to a more worrying battery discharge issue that looked like a failure just waiting to happen. I decided to dispose of it through the trade while it still had value.

Just like the first time around I thought I could live with a RX100 as a pocket camera, but just like then I found I just didn't get on with it at all; too many annoyances in its interface so it had to go. Yet another financial hit...

Then as I was browsing I spotted a GM1 - a camera I have never owned - that looked really good, and it was from a safe source (MPB) and a realistic price (£279, body only) so I bought it. Bottom line is it's like new with only 550 or so shots and is cosmetically and functionally perfect. It came with only a battery and charger (no box or accessories) but for once I don't care. I like it:

Although it has even fewer controls than the RX100 it also has far fewer annoyances - and I was pleased to find I could read the screen and select focus point easily even in bright sunlight as I found when I tested it in the park near my home:

I'll be keeping an eye on GM5s as I'd still really like one but good ones are very thin on the ground so I'm not holding my breath. Meanwhile the even tinier GM1 makes a decent substitute - unlike the RX100.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [GMT]
RIP Elliott Erwitt 26 July 1928 - 29 November 2023

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow