Z8 Owner's Frustration: Firmware Updates and Second-Class Treatment

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sdbirder
sdbirder Junior Member • Posts: 29
Z8 Owner's Frustration: Firmware Updates and Second-Class Treatment

My choice of the Z8 camera was solely based on my preference for a more compact size, especially during long hikes where carrying a massive camera like the Z9 just isn't practical. Price wasn't an issue for me, and I would have been willing to pay even more for a Z8.

However, my excitement has dwindled due to the noticeable lack of firmware updates for the Z8 compared to the nearly identical Z9. As someone who primarily captures birds, it's disheartening to see the Z9 receiving updates like the recent 4.10 firmware, which adds birds to autofocus—a feature absent on the Z8. Additionally, the auto-capture functionality introduced in the Z9 update could be a game-changer for my hummingbird shots.

Despite the Z8 facing two annoying recalls, it feels like we're on the backburner for firmware updates compared to the Z9. Prioritizing size over price, I can't help but feel like a second-class citizen for choosing the Z8. This buyer's remorse is making me reconsider my loyalty to Nikon for future purchases. Spending $4000 on a camera is substantial, and being overlooked as if it's a lowest-tier camera is becoming very aggravating!

Nikon Z8 Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
xtm
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow