Does Z9 Get light at full aperture for AF pixels ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 8,252
Re: Does Z9 Get light at full aperture for AF pixels ?

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Firstly, by what you have wrote, it sounds like you don't shoot much landscape photography.

Perhaps you are wrong - I have taken over 260 landscape images this month.

Take it from me who spends most of my time doing it

I tend to shoot landscapes when the time of day and likely lighting at a location should be (as distinct from will be) good for landscape work.

I find map reading, weather forecasting and ascertaining the direction and height of the sun plus - as many photographers are reputed to have said - "f8 and be there" definitely helps.

I am not suggesting for example good landscape shots cannot be taken in the window of 2 hours before and after noon - though it can be distinctly challenging.

- light is fleeting and often one doesn't have all the time in the world at the scene as you might think.

I disagree with your word "often".

Very occasionally yes the light is fleeting - but watching the clouds and their trajectory I find helps pre-visualising where and how light will fall on a landscape.

I am speaking about the dof button. But you go onto say just said use the button...Not being able to zoom makes it kind of useless because there is no way when viewing the full scene to be able to see the subtle transition areas.

As I said before there is no way to reasonably pre-visualise likely depth of field in a finished print zooming in on a viewfinder or camera rear monitor - though you can zoom in if you first take a location test shot - or use a mobile phone as an aid before setting up a tripod.

There is a good chance of reasonably estimating "camera" depth of field by building up expertise over time.

With more recent PP including landscape focus stacking (that I rarely undertake) the depth of field effect can be modified during post processing.

You are needlessly complicating it with COC, otherwise why would the EVF be built to simulate real dof between 0.95 - 5.6 (as you point out) if it didn't really matter?

I find that using the rear monitor is useful for visualising and reasonably estimating depth of field effects before taking an image.

Zooming in to check detail may not be possible in fleeting light.

It seems to me that every suggestion or point anyone makes in the forum you have an answer of a) why they don't need it b) why you don't need it and thus c) why it doesn't matter therefore.

Some make what I have found to be - during 50 years of landscape photography - sensible suggestions.

EDIT I prefer the Z8 or Z7 for landscape work for the smaller size and weight if back-packing to a location.

Strongly disagree with just about everything you've said or say here. You've argued about stuff like this in the past and it's then turned up in proceeding cameras so obviously the companies and other users think developments are interesting. There are cameras that already basically have this function...

I recently had a 50mm landscape that light was changing very fast and if I could have tapped in on the dof preview I would have recognised I should have focused a little further into the scene as the distance wasn't as sharp as I'd like. I can see it on my monitor at a reasonable size. That's all I'm trying to do. Get some reasonable idea...more that the reasonable idea that 5.6 shows which you seem to think is fine and I don't. Yeah I should have taken a test shot then pressed image review then zoomed in to check but I was in a rush and didn't and frankly avoiding those extra steps would, you know, be nice. Yes I am aware I could focus stack yada yada but I don't always wish to do this or process a shot in that way.

What bothers me more about this is that - yeah okay there are many ways to do something but it's your reluctance to just say look, yeah that would be cool if nikon offered that - some may use it but i wouldnt use it for x reason. Instead, you just flat out decry it because that's what you always do here, and if you don't use it no one should have it. If nikon listened to you none of their cameras would ever evolve because you are always decrying everything and downplaying any issue, like z7 Af. I am done debating this with you as it is truly pointless.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow