Does Z9 Get light at full aperture for AF pixels ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 8,237
Re: Does Z9 Get light at full aperture for AF pixels ?

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Fine for the wide apertures, but you don't get real time depth of field preview beyond 5.6

True - but you do get it between f0.95 and f5.6, and get a reasonable idea at f8 and f11 without setting up a depth of field preview button.

Sorry, don't agree.

You can press DOF preview if you assign it to a button, but you cannot zoom in...As soon as you do it deactivates. Not great for us landscape photographers as it could be.

Did you think this through?

Zooming in, a bit like using medium format or crop sensor, is similar to changing the circle of confusion. - and changes the depth of field relative to the format you are using

If you want to check dof before taking an image you usually have time in most landscape photography to use a dof preview button equivalent.

Firstly, by what you have wrote, it sounds like you don't shoot much landscape photography. Take it from me who spends most of my time doing it - light is fleeting and often one doesn't have all the time in the world at the scene as you might think. I am speaking about the dof button. But you go onto say just said use the button...Not being able to zoom makes it kind of useless because there is no way when viewing the full scene to be able to see the subtle transition areas. You are needlessly complicating it with COC, otherwise why would the EVF be built to simulate real dof between 0.95 - 5.6 (as you point out) if it didn't really matter? I can "zoom" in on my monitor after the fact and see the dof fall off. If i've ever missed this slightly (if I am trying to capture in one shot) it can clearly be noticed. Again, at capture stage, having this big expensive camera do this would be great also.

It seems to me that every suggestion or point anyone makes in the forum you have an answer of a) why they don't need it b) why you don't need it and thus c) why it doesn't matter therefore. There are a growing number of people doing this sadly. For example folks that don't shoot a certain genre attempting to school folks that are already experienced in said genre who are making legitimate points that the camera companies could implement.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow