About tonality - what do people mean with it?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sjak
Sjak Veteran Member • Posts: 7,644
About tonality - what do people mean with it?

In a lot of recent thread, tonality has been mentioned.

To me, it is not always clear what is actually referred to.

Often it seems used to describe an esthetic quality of an image, such as contrast transition. Is my understanding correct?

At other times, the word tonality seems to be used as a technical quality, e.g. camera or sensor X has less tonality than camera or sensor Y. How is this tonality to be understood? How is is measured? And how can we assess a camera's or sensor's technical tonality from a (processed and compressed) JPG posted online? (and how can we differentiate the sensor/camera tonality from e.g. processing preferences or other creative choices in such situations?)

Are there other uses for the term tonality in photography?

PS - Let's solely discuss the concept / definition of tonality. Let's refrain from "camera A is better than camera B" or "you are wrong and I am right" type of ping-pong-discussions. If you feel a desire to hold such a discussion, please feel free to open a new thread on the forum.

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Ricoh GR III Ricoh GR IIIx Pentax K100D Pentax K10D +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow