Panasonic 100-400ii with 2.0x TC

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
tomhongkong Veteran Member • Posts: 5,098
Panasonic 100-400ii with 2.0x TC

I have been doing some tests with this set up. Unfortunately the weather is not co-operating so my shots are in less than ideal conditions.

A couple of comments.

It is really easy and foolproof to connect the Panasonic TCs to the lens. I don't know if an Olympus TC would fit.

DXO 7, my preferred PP software does not support the 100-400 +TC, so I had to sharpen my RAW with Topaz Sharpen AI. I may well be overdoing it.

It is not easy to handhold the 800mm combo (FF 1600 equivalent) and compose accurately. The shot I am showing is way off centre as a result but crops down quite well. I am posting the whole image to give an impression of how fr away the birds really were (at 800mm) I don't suggest it is a thing of beauty, it was just a test!

At f13 ISOs get pretty high, and I assume the combo is heading into diffraction territory.

None the less, I am very encouraged by what is possible. However I can see the 1.4x TC, giving 560mm and F9 as being my normal maximum, with slightly better IQ.

I was spurred to post this after a post in another thread which said that the 100-400ii was soft. What do you think?

Tom

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow