CMYK, editing, and printing

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,025
CMYK, editing, and printing

I decided to have some more business cards printed and went back to Vista Print again. It's been a while and now they want my photo file uploaded in CMYK. I thought most printing services or printers wanted a sRGB or AdobeRGB file, and then the printers converted it to CMYK at the time of printing. I checked with another business card printer and they want the photo file uploaded in CMYK also. Is that just a business card thing wanting the file in CMYK? I even did a test where I sent Vista Print my sRGB file for a small order of business cards, and the color was bad. They are serious about wanting a CMYK file.

So I opened my sRGB file in PS CC and converted it to CMYK. That changed the look and the histogram a lot. I tried to edit it to bring back the original look in CMYK but found that conventional edits such as using curves or taking it back into Camera Raw did not work. What is the best way to go about editing a CMYK file? Should I try to find a card printing service that wants a RGB file (if that is possible)?  Thanks for any ideas.

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
"The best photographer is the one who has the most fun!" - Jason Bradley, Outdoor Photographer Magazine

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow