missing non-cpu info with Z7?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ContaxRTSII Contributing Member • Posts: 794
missing non-cpu info with Z7?

Not sure if I should post this in adapted lens forum or here so I decided to do it on both since the question/finding actually involved two specific lens/camera.

In the camera, I entered non-cpu info into Z8/Zf and Z7 while using a non-cpu lens. This way, the camera choose 1/FL as shutter speed and a corresponding IBIS will be used.

BUT the FL and maximum aperture of the lens info entered in camera is NOT necessarily stored in picture exif info. It is shown in the Z8 and Zf, not on Z7.

Z7 only keeps shutter speed of 1/FL (1/50, in this case since 50mm is entered). Obviously Z7 knows/recognizes a vintage 50mm is attached, therefore shutter speed of 1/50 is chosen and stored but not the FL* and maximum aperture* (not the actual aperture taken), this maximum aperture lens used is helpful to differentiate if I have used multiple same FL but different maximum aperture lenses.

Did I miss turning on a setting in Z7? Nikon decided to give more exif with the later models?

Not only this, I also found out the viewfinder of Z8/Zf is better defined (cleaner and less hazy) than Z7, Nikon must have used a "better" EVF at the later models even though the EVF spec looks the same?! The newer EVF helps in manual focusing of vintage lens especially those older lens which tends to have more flare "characters".

A good example is the Contax Zeiss 50/1.4. I had problem focusing before with this lens, now it's much easier.

ContaxRTSII's gear list:ContaxRTSII's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D500 Sony a9 Nikon Z7
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow