Bought olympus 300mm f4 with scratches on the front lens, worth keeping?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
svampfest New Member • Posts: 13
Bought olympus 300mm f4 with scratches on the front lens, worth keeping?

A photo company I've trusted for a while now put out a used oly 300mm f4 for 1700 euro(rough estimate the same in dollars). During black Friday all used equipment on the site was at additional 20% off so it went to about 1400 euro/dollar. According to description neither front or back lens had any marks at all, only the lens cap, sun protection and mount adapter ring, socI bought it.

Turns out it had a fair bit if scratches on the front lens (see pics below). I tried taking a couple of test pics with different aperture and focus in different light to try and see if it were visible in light room with the healing tool where you can see dust/particles. I could not see anything in any sort of picture.

The company I bought from apologized they missed this and offered either free return or "additional" % off the price.

I know it's subjective, but is it worth to keep? Is there anything that could be affected even tho I can't see any marks on the pics? Can it make the AF slower?

I'm using it with a Panasonic gh6 body, and I would call myself a beginning as I learn by doing. Appreciate any input. Thanks!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow