Thinking about Putting a Toe In The Water

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Adam007 Contributing Member • Posts: 849
Thinking about Putting a Toe In The Water

Greetings, Z Forum:

I don't even count as a lurker here. I hail from Pentax DSLR land, and as one season follows another, the holiday sales have me wondering if it's finally time to go mirrorless.

I've tried a couple systems before - Sony FF and Panasonic FF, but they didn't take. I found the Sony soulless, and didn't love the way the lenses rendered.  I liked their S1R, but AF was not what I expected, nor was ISO invariance. If they would release a sequel, I'd consider it.

I prefer OVF, but the AF limitations of Pentax, along with my serial chimping, suggest the need for change.

I'm thinking about a Z8. The ZF is tempting, but that seems more like a second camera to me. I'm a prime shooter - street, portraits, landscapes and macro. My guess is that I'd just the Z where AF and weight is a factor; hard to say if it would totally displace the beloved DSLR.

Why do I write? I'm sure you are fans of the Z system, so I can hardly expect an unbiased endorsement. What would you recommend someone new to the system keep in mind? The 35 and 85 seem like good places to start, though there is a good deal on the 24-120 if bought as a kit.

I hesitate, but in case you would find it helpful to know something of my shooting style, here's my website. Feel free to ignore this: www.invisiblelenses.com

Thanks in advance!

Adam

Adam007's gear list:Adam007's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Pentax K-1 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +7 more
Nikon Z8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
2PK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow