Does Z9 Get light at full aperture for AF pixels ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 8,252
Re: Does Z9 Get light at full aperture for AF pixels ?

ray_burnimage wrote:

Thom Hogan wrote:

ray_burnimage wrote:

I'll defer to your unsurpassed knowledge. But surely some of us have a point worthy of exploration and discussion?

No doubt. Note that I said it was an indictment of Nikon that they haven't managed to educate studio photographers well on why they made the decisions they made and how to deal with the problems that arise.

Sony cameras have that exact same option too. But they also have, in addition, "aperture drive in AF" where you can force the camera to focus using the lens wide open even when shooting stopped down.

I haven't actually tested that—too many things to test—but I'd wager that focus accuracy would depend upon focus point used when you do that. There's also the timing chain issue to worry about.

Focus accuracy seems spot on. Say you're doing low key lighting studio headshots stopped down to f11 using an 85mm 1.4 lens with eye-AF enabled. The Sony can be set to focus at f.14 not f5.6 and it just works. Maybe Sony simply worked out how to do this?

Important caveat: This is not default with Sony, it's an option. I suspect for good reason. It'll slow down AF calculations by a millisecond or two. I suspect to calculate focus shift etc. This doesn't matter for its intended purpose..... studio etc.

BUT, sports and BIF folk tend to avoid this optional setting, for that exact same reason

Maybe you think it's more of a gimmick?

No. However Nikon doesn't tend to do something arbitrary without a reason. I will note that Nikon tested a new flash system about the time of the Z9 development. It's possible we haven't seen their "complete" solution.

Very good points here. Sony have got plenty right and somethings not so great, the same with all brands but I see this as a viable option for studio shooters...

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow