Does Z9 Get light at full aperture for AF pixels ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 8,262
Re: Does Z9 Get light at full aperture for AF pixels ?

Thom Hogan wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Thom Hogan wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Nikon really need to put a menu option to focus wide open even if at a tiny aperture to help with studio shooting. Experienced guys know how to deal with focus plane shift and can account for it.

I'd say no because you're talking about autofocus. Exactly how are "experienced guys" dealing with focus plane shift in autofocus? I suspect you're going to say AF Fine Tune Options, but that's a can of worms that requires some real knowledge to adjust correctly for a particular focus shift.

People shooting studio day in and day out know how their lens performs. When shooting at f/11 they can focus at the correct position to account for it.

Great, so they're in manual focus. Why would we even be talking about what aperture the lens autofocuses at then? ;~)

Nope. With experience it's quite easy to see how a lens focus shifts - at f/11 it's not really a huge issue but it can be mitigated.

I see you have replied to anothermike's post, sony have felt it a useful function to enable even if shooting at f/11, the aperture can be set to focus wide open (more wide than 5.6) in order to help the AF system.

If I'm not mistaken, there are footnotes about which lenses that works with (or frame rates). Sony most certainly made a different decision than Nikon did. I'm not sure either is the best possible case. There's a lot of variables that come into play, and the designers are picking different balance points.

I've personally noticed the D850 is better in low light especially with speedlights in the studio and strobes. A few others I know and regard highly in the studio world seem to have similar experience. Anything to get more light in there is going to help. Shooting at f/5.6 doesn't IMO which is exactly what is happening with Z world. I know and realise you seem to think nikon made the right choice here but I personally don't and think it can be improved. So we shall see if they ever change that.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow