35mm prime lens decision - help

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
newdom Contributing Member • Posts: 794
Re: 35mm prime lens decision - help

vwcrusher wrote:

I recently bought a A7RIII body. I have the 35mm prime narrowed down to two lenses. My decision criteria includes weight and budget, but top on the list is optical performance.

I have read and watched numerous reviews. Any practical guidance would be appreciated.

The two lenses are:

• Sigma 35mm f/2 DG DN
  • Samyang AF 35mm f/1.8 FE

I am trying to balance the following:

• Sam is lighter and half the cost of the Sigma
  • Sigma is more rugged

Given the body has a 42mp sensor, does that sway the decision either way?

Thank you : )

I've had several copies of both these lenses.  I eventually gave up buying the Samyang as I couldn't replicate the excellent first copy I had (and sold for the Sigma!).  Samyang copy variation is noticeably worse - you can get an excellent copy or (more likely) a mediocre or comedy bad copy.

The Sigma is objectively a better lens in almost every way, except for cost and weight, in particular optically if that is your.. focus.  I've lost count of the number of used Sigma contemporary, sport and art lenses I've bought over the past few years and the consistency and variation is superb - it's not a coincidence that so is the build quality.

I'm very cost conscious, but for me the modern Sigmas are a perfect middle ground between Samyang and Sony GMs - I consider them overall somewhere between Sony G and GMs (as a sweeping general statement!).

newdom's gear list:newdom's gear list
Sony a7C Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Sony FE 28-60mm F4-5.6
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow