ET-8550 Reliability

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
graysky Junior Member • Posts: 38
ET-8550 Reliability

Can the ET-8550 stand up to normal family use as the main household printer, for kind of a busy family? That's the short version. Read-on for the long boring version.

-- hide signature --

Not sure if this is New Thread worthy, but here goes. Used to consider myself a hobbyist / family designated photographer / .... Decades later, kind of worn down by life, that type of interest is all behind me now. But wait....while shopping for a new printer to replace our 10 year old beloved/hated (mostly hated) HP Officejet as our new family workhorse, I stumble onto the ET-8550 and am reading all about it. It's trying to call me back into caring about photography again. Wow, the idea of actually printing large high quality photos affordably, what a novel concept.  I know it's not meant to be a family workhorse, but can it be?

If I dump this amount of cash and it won't hold up, and it doesn't even have an automatic feeder (is the first thing my wife will say), well.....I just don't need that kind of aggravation. I know there are some warranty plans out there, but I find what Epson offers directly to be very disappointing compared to what HP and Canon offer. My heart says ET-8550, do it. But my noggin says uh-uh, not so fast buckaroo.

I'm also looking at the Canon GX4020 which is all pigment based / not just pigment black. Genuine Canon OEM ink replacements for the GX4020 are actually kind of expensive unfortunately. There are a ton of non-OEM ink options for the GX line of printers, but I don't know if they can be trusted. There is also the G7020 which uses dye except for pigment black that I'm considering.  But mainly I'm choosing between the ET-8550 and GX4020. I know that for printing photos, they aren't in the same league and the ET-8550 will wipe the floor with the GX4020, especially for glossy paper.  But....as they say in the NFL, sometimes availability trumps talent.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow