Is it worth selling my Sony A7iii to get a A7 IV or Canon R6 Mark ii?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Coltonjet New Member • Posts: 1
Is it worth selling my Sony A7iii to get a A7 IV or Canon R6 Mark ii?

Hello, I've had my Sony A7 III since 2019 and have loved it.... but I'm wondering if it's time for me to upgrade.

There are a couple thoughts influencing my decision and I wanted to see what you guys think.

1) I want to try to maximize re-sale value of my Sony A7 iii. I don't want it to get too old and depreciate TOO much. I worry that if I don't upgrade, the Sony A7 V will come out in the future and further depreciate my A7 iii. (I know the A7 V is still a ways away from being released but it's something I think about)

2) Is the Sony A7 IV and/or the Canon R6 Mark ii good enough of an improvement to make a upgrade even worth it? Or should I keep waiting for the Sony a7 V or a new Canon r6 mark iii? (It sounds like both of those wouldn't come out til 2024-2025) I'm leaning towards the Canon and switching lens systems.

3) Cyber Monday deals are going on right now... so if there's a time to buy, right now is a a good time.

4) As for use case, I mostly use the camera for hybrid photo and video travel vlogging. I put it on a gimbal stabilizer and do a mix of video and photo. Occasionally I setup video shoots for my company but that is rare. I do like to take family portraits and do landscape/travel photography. I also use the camera to shoot YouTube videos.

5) I have the money to upgrade but I'd rather be smart about upgrading when it makes sense (based on re-sale value or depreciation rate).

6) All this said, I don't absolutely NEED to upgrade. My Sony A7 iii does the job perfectly fine and I could get some more time out of my current camera but if it's a question of it getting too old and maximizing re-sale vale and if the upgrade-cycle makes sense right now then I'd upgrade ASAP.

Any thoughts? Appreciate it!

Thank you!

Canon EOS R6 Sony a7 Sony a7 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow