Q: Explore Lenses for Rome, Venice, and Others.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Isola Verde
Isola Verde Forum Pro • Posts: 10,991
Re: Q: Explore Lenses for Rome, Venice, and Others.

tb06mar wrote:

I am going to Italy this Christmas and deciding which camera and lenses to take. It is a family trip. My idea is to pack as light as possible. I plan to bring the Panasonic G9 or EM1 mk1 with the 12-40mm f/2.8 Mark I, 35-100mm f/2.8 Mark II, and PL 25mm f/1.4 mk1. I have searched the forum and the internet, and there are many different opinions, even opposite opinions.

My questions are as follows: 1) Is the 35-100mm f/2.8 Mark II necessary? 2) Should I bring a UWA lens such as the PL 9mm?

We've been visiting Rome almost annually since December 1996, with these stats - from a short trip there in November 2007 - fairly typical of my results before going over to M43....

No great surprise then that nowadays my bag always includes something for a wider view than the equivalent of 24mm - the Laowa 10mm f/2, PL9mm f/1.7 and/or ( for its greater convenience, despite being f/4-5.6 ), the little Olympus 9-18 zoom.

What I've found I don't make much use of is anything that goes longer than about 100mm equiv - say 50 or 60mm on M43... with such lenses often not leaving the hotel for the duration!

Unless you'll be doing an awful lot of transfers, I'd suggest taking a good mix, and then choose quite what to carry on a daily basis.

Peter

Isola Verde's gear list:Isola Verde's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus PEN E-P7
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow