Does Z9 Get light at full aperture for AF pixels ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 8,252
Re: Does Z9 Get light at full aperture for AF pixels ?

Thom Hogan wrote:

Restoc wrote:

Thank you for the overview but my question is really focused on Z9/8.

The question is simple : Does Nikon says somewhere how Z9 or Z8 OSPDAF works either only at real aperture or at full aperture ( of the lens) or is it a mixt of both.

You were given the correct answer: All f/5.6 or faster lenses are focused at the aperture value you've set. All f/6.3 or slower lenses are focused at the maximum aperture.

May be the answer is complex ( for Nikon) and may rely on some unsaid statements such as Price/value class or technical limits of AF motors or according the optical formula etc.

Nope. You're conflating different things here to start with, but the answer is still nope.

I never seen a clear statement of Nikon about how they deal with OSPDAF and apertures for Z9/8 for each of the lenses of the store. I would appreciate to find something.

"How they deal with OSPDAF" was answered way back when the Nikon 1 first came out. It really hasn't changed since.

Just consider that such a question is not really for fun : if when buying some golden lenses ( 400mm 2,8 and 600 f4) you learn that finaly they can only get light for AF at only 5,6 it could be a a reason to change your mind for something else.

Nope. You may be trying to re-interpret things that Marianne and others (including myself) wrote about DSLR phase detect, which doesn't use all of the light coming through the lens and has geometric and physical limitations unique to DSLRs and their dedicated focus arrays.

Nikon really need to put a menu option to focus wide open even if at a tiny aperture to help with studio shooting. Experienced guys know how to deal with focus plane shift and can account for it. The z 8 isnt perfect in the studio with tiny apertures, strobes and low light. This suggestion may mitigate the problem.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow