Sony A7R5 First Impressions (coming from Fujifilm X)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fcracer Senior Member • Posts: 1,761
Sony A7R5 First Impressions (coming from Fujifilm X)

Hi there, after using the Sony A7R5 for a few months, I've now posted a first impressions review as someone that's been a Fujifilm APSC owner since the X-Pro1 days. You can find the first impressions review here.

Please note my blog is non-commercial. If you choose to buy a camera, please use links from DPR to support this great site.

Link to the full text: https://fcracer.com/sony-a7r5-first-impressions-review/

Conclusion

Switching systems is a big expense, both in financial terms and in losing familiarity with the system. While I’ve struggled a bit with the colours on the Sony as it relates to Asian and darker skin tones (they come out green), the overall experience has been very positive.

If I were to own only one camera, it would be the A7R5. It’s the perfect, do-everything camera. The camera has class-leading AF, is high resolution, professional, small, light, and with excellent user features like the high resolution EVF and high-speed cards. You can’t go wrong with the A7R5.

Nothing is perfect however, and there are a few things I’d like to see in a future iteration, or via firmware updates:

1. More space between the grip and lens body. I wouldn’t mind if Sony went a tiny bit larger with the body to save my knuckles from further abuse.
  2. An auto subject detection mode where the camera determines whether the subject is a human, animal, car, train or airplane. If Sony is to be believed, the whole point of AI is that it should be able to identify subjects without us having to pre-select them.
  3. Better integration of the screen with the body. This aligns with the first item that I think a slightly bigger body would actually make the Sony even more compelling.

Considering the capabilities of the camera, the above list of improvement ideas is very short. The A7R5 is a truly remarkable camera that fixes all the issues that held back its earlier iterations.

I can wholeheartedly recommend this camera to any user, from novice through to professional. It’s a camera with broad capabilities that a novice can grow with or as a camera that can support a busy professional photography business.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. I also appreciate any feedback, if you found the review useful or if you think it could have been done better.

-- hide signature --

Travel, photography and gear: fcracer.com

fcracer's gear list:fcracer's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica M11 Sony a7R V Fujifilm GFX 100 II Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +23 more
Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow